Thinking back on my childhood, some of my fondest memories are of the days we spent being active. Afternoons spent hiking one of of the many trails around Lake Tahoe, evening bike rides, fun at the park. The picture above is my sister and I on a hiking trail somewhere near Lake Tahoe, circa mid-1980′s . What, you never hiked in jellies? You’ve got to pick your battles and my parents must not have picked that one. It’s important to me to make memories like these with my kids, spending quality time together while setting the foundation for an active and healthy lifestyle.
Here are some fun ways to bond as a family, while getting in a bit of exercise too.
- Head to the Park – What kid doesn’t love the park? Swinging, sliding and the monkey bars – the kids won’t even know they are getting exercise. Keep it fresh by visiting a new park now and then.
- Take a Hike - Instead of hanging around the house, get out and move your legs. Seek out some local hiking trails and enjoy the fresh air while you reconnect.
- Shoot Some Hoops – Anyone who has watched Father of the Bride knows that basketball can be a bonding opportunity. Invest in one of those adjustable basketball hoops or the freestanding variety if that works better at your home. If you live in an apartment or want to try it out first, see if you can find an open court at a local park.
- Put on Some Music and Dance – Who cares if you can’t dance? Wiggle, wriggle and have some silly fun with your kids! And if you can dance – you know you’ve been dying to show off your skills.
- Make a Game of It – Video games don’t have to be a guilty pleasure – just find games that will get your family up and moving. If you are a Wii family, try Nickelodeon Fit or Just Dance. XBox Kinect households may enjoy Nickelodeon Dance or Kinect Sports.
These ideas are just the tip of the iceberg. What are your favorite ways to keep your family active?