I’m not sure what I like best about summer – the long sunny days, having my husband (a teacher) home to help wrangle the kids, shorts and tank tops, playing in the sprinklers…it’s a long list. Somewhere near the top has to be the days when I give the kitchen a break and turn over dinner duty to the man of the house who’ll make many a tempting meal on the grill in the back yard. As I mentioned a few months back, we’ve been experimenting with Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blends and they definitely do a great job of bringing a little spice to the grill.
Using the Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends for Hamburger, Chicken and Steak is pretty much a no-brainer – mix some into your ground beef or rub it on to the chicken and steak and you’re done. For a bit more variety, I’ve been mixing in some new recipes and thought I’d share a couple that were big hits with my family. That chicken you see above is Grilled Mexican Chicken, delicious on its own, even better as fajitas. The Southwest Chipotle Blend may well be my favorite of the Mrs. Dash line. I prepped the chicken myself, but passed the grilling duties along to the expert.
Grilled Mexican Chicken
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time : 10 min
Ready In: 50 min
2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle Blend
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 half red onion, slivered
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. Gently pound chicken breast halves to 1/4 inch consistency.
2. Toss with Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle Blend, red onion, garlic and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Preheat grill or cast iron grill plate. Spray with cooking spray.
4. Cook chicken about 4-5 minutes on each side. Carefully mark on both sides turning evenly for equal lines to form cross marks. Remove.
5. Rest partially covered with foil.
Total Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 65 mg
Potassium: 316 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 27 g
This chicken may be little spicy for some, but if you like a good kick you’re sure to enjoy it.
Another recipe that has become a fast favorite in my house are these potato wedges. They make an easy side dish for hamburgers and I can whip them up while my husband grills.
Crispy Baked Potato Wedges
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Ready In: 40 min
2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Original Blend
4 medium-sized red potatoes, cut into wedges
2 garlic cloves, slivered
juice of half a lemon
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Dry potato wedges on paper towels, rub with 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1/2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Original Blend.
3. Roast on baking pan about 30 minutes, turning at 15 minutes to evenly brown potatoes.
4. Mix garlic, lemon juice and remaining olive oil in a small pan with remaining Mrs. Dash® Original Blend. Serve alongside roasted wedges for dipping.
Total Fat: 10g
Trans Fat: 0g
Potassium: 1016 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 35g
Don’t hesitate to experiment with different seasoning blends – I really love these with the Garlic and Herb or Southwest Chipotle Blends, the Original Blend really isn’t my cup of tea. I also personally find the dipping sauce unnecessary and my kids wouldn’t dream of anything but ketchup.
For more tempting recipes that to get you grilling with Mrs. Dash this summer, be sure to check out Mrs. Dash on Facebook.
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Mrs. Dash and received product samples and a gift certificate to thank me for taking the time to participate.